Thursday, October 29, 2009

Snow Day!

So I'm sitting at home nice and warm instead of working with my kids today, but I forgot to mention two really fun ideas brought up by Zack's grandfater at the IEP. Cool idea number one: softball for blind kids and teenagers is apparently all the rage! The bases are each created to make a distinct sound (first sounds different from second, etc.), and the ball has its own sound. The kids play the game completely by sound. . .how can that work? All I could imagine as I was listening was the idea of catching. . .does a sound-making ball coming quickly at you allow you catch it? Is it possible to do that without sight? Are the mitts different? I'm going to see what I can find on Google, but I thought that was cool. Zack's grandfather wanted to talk about it as a possibility for the future with his adaptive PE teacher.
Fun idea number two: wrestling for blind teenagers. The blind students wrestle with sighted kids, and the only rule change is that contact must always be kept. Apparently the one blind wrestler in Greeley is VERY fast!
So, I had to take a minute to stop my cozy reading to share. I'm curious to find out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment