Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Days 49 and 50

I am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief as I type today. . .it has been an awkward few days, but I think everything has finally blown over. Thankfully, the vision teachers listened to my feelings of discomfort about the situation, and they visited with the teacher Zack was having trouble with and also briefly with the principal. The teacher talked with Zack's step mom (she caught her in the hall on the way to the IEP) and to the vision teacher who was in the class with the disruptions. The next day, the afternoon literacy instruction and classroom management was apparently top-notch. I made a point to mention to my teammate this morning that the vision teacher was impressed with her teaching and management on the day after the incident, and I am SO hopeful it stays this way. I am so thankful the vision teachers stepped up to take care of the situation so that I could simply act as a concerned teacher and teammate and NOT as a supervisor. Hopefully we're all set for smooth sailing the rest of the year. . .I don't want to go down that road again!
Zack's IEP went great on Tuesday, and his family is very pleased with everything. It was nice to hear encouraging words from his parents and grandparents and the vision team about the environment in my classroom for Zack. I am really glad I have learned as much as I have about interacting with students who are blind as I think it has helped me to adapt much better to Zack. I took a quick look at the website, and I'm really excited to look at it. The book list is a great idea--I may go to the library this weekend and see what I can find to help the class continue to learn and respect and build friendships with Zack. Maybe if it snows I can play on it during the day. . .we'll see!!

1 comment:

  1. Great! I am glad to hear that everything went well. I also did not think that you should take on the job of telling your colleagues about the concerns of others.

    It is so nice to know that the family and the vision teachers appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete