Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 48

So Zack was with me for all of literacy today, and he did great as far as paying attention, sitting appropriately and interacting with the class. I've noticed he has a habit of echoing or copying other kids and even me. . .his teacher is great at re-directing him to help him understand the question or assignment. Hmm. . .so a situation came up that made me thankful I haven't made the blog public. Zack is working with a different classroom teacher (along with his vision teacher) during the afternoon literacy block (I was teaching it until last week), and things aren't going so smoothly. There are some management issues in the other classroom that are causing some big distractions for Zack and are negatively impacting his learning. His step-mom came in to watch today (she comes a few times a month) and observed during the literacy block with the other teacher, and she was not happy. She and the vision teacher described the problem to me, and I am feeling very much in the middle. As his classroom teacher, the parent liaison and the other teacher's teammate who wants her to succeed, it is my job to pass this information along so she can correct or improve the situation. (I'm assuming it's my job--I would want someone to do it for me rather than go over my head). I'm especially concerned about what will happen if things don't change after she is made aware of the concerns. . .what then? Who presents the concerns to our administration so the teacher can get some guidance and/or coaching and help? I am VERY uncomfortable in this position! Hopefully I'm making too much out of it. . .but then the vision team and parents are upset and concerned. . .this is completely new territory for me and something I did NOT expect with having Zack in my class. . .we'll see! Maybe it will all come out in his IEP meeting tomorrow and I will be off the hook. . .

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how this problem is resolved. It would seem to me that the vision team and the family are in the best place to express their concerns to the other teacher. You have not observed those behaviors since you have not been in the classroom observing.

    MM

    ReplyDelete