Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Days 22 and 23

So, Zack had a really good day today, and he bonded with a new boy in the class. I remembered to do the same-sex partners today in math, and a boy who sits across the room went over to be Zack's partner. The vision teacher showed him how to put Zack's hand on the desks so he could feel his way around the classroom, and the boy took right to it and walked Zack to the carpet. Later in the day, when the vision teacher was putting away the literacy materials and getting ready for writing, Zack wondered over to where the kids were sitting at the carpet. The boy who had him as partner earlier jumped up and helped him, and he treated him like an equal and simply helped him find his spot. It was great! I really praised the other student for treating Zack just like everyone else, and it was awesome to see him getting help in an age-appropriate form. I've been so worried that he'll be treated like a baby, and the girls tend to be too motherly. Hopefully I'm helping Zack form some new friendships. . .we'll see!
In literacy time, I use a ball to throw to the kids when we do individual turns. I have a beach ball for the morning and a squishy ball for the afternoon, and Zack LOVES to catch it. I've bounced it off of his forehead a time or two, and it's so funny to see him giggle and laugh. He has a wonderful, bubbly personality. Literacy has been a great time for him to shine with his braille. He is perfect at phoneme blending, and I think it will help him as he progresses in his reading abilities.
I am going to be switching the kids' tables at the end of the week, and I'm a little hesitant about what to do with Zack. Should I leave him so he knows where his desk is? I guess the vision team will guide me. . .I don't want to upset his system, and one thing he works hard on is knowing how to get from his desk to the door and vice versa.
Hmm. . .not sure if I can think of much more at the moment. . .I am so excited about Zack's new friendship I can't think of anything else! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment