Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 25

So I completely forgot to go out and check on Zack at recess today. . .not sure what I was thinking! Anyway, we had a good day. Zack correctly read the word "for" in literacy on his first try, and he's making huge progress in his letter recognition. It was a little funny today--his vision teacher got up to get a few materials, and he does NOT like to be left alone. He started talking and asking repeatedly where she was, and he didn't want to listen to the story until she was back. I guess she's a comfort to him? Not sure. . .but I could tell he wasn't happy! Maybe the vision team can give me some pointers on how to help him when that happens. He is going to have to learn to be a part of the group for a few minutes without someone sitting right beside him, and I'd think there are a few things I could do to help him adjust. This was simply sitting for a story--don't worry--he's not alone when there's chaos!
So I taught details in pictures in literacy today, and I felt really guilty asking the kids about how it would feel to read a story without pictures when I realized that is exactly Zack's life. Am I making his blindness a negative by talking about what he can't do instead of what he can do? Hmm. . .how do you approach something like details in a picture without making him feel inferior? I have a lot to learn about inclusion and working with special needs children. . .more tomorrow when I will for sure be going outside for an extra recess with the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment