Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Days 3 and 4

Well, I wish I could say it has been an uneventful two days, but Zack and I are getting to know each other much better in these first days of school. We had a really hard time on Monday morning when Zack insisted he had to leave the class to go to the bathroom after he had taken a break only 20 minutes earlier. I reminded him that the whole class would take a break in just a minute and that he needed to wait quietly, and it didn't work. Apparently, he had quite a bit of freedom in when he could leave to use the bathroom when he was in kindergarten, and he wasn't happy with me when I wouldn't let him go. After a lost privilege and lots of tears and some inappropriate behavior, we survived. Zack and I didn't have any issues again the rest of the day, and he even earned back his lost privilege from the morning. I was prepared for round two this morning, but I did my best to prevent the situation by reminding him about our class bathroom break and how he'd only be allowed to leave once. It worked! I don't know if it was the fact that I stuck by my plan on Monday or the multitude of reminders and praise for appropriate behavior I gave, but we didn't have any defiance today! It was a huge relief.
I hope that we can stay on the same page throughout the rest of the year, but I can only imagine that he has been able to do things a little differently because of his blindness and may have a hard time when I don't allow that. The vision team has been supportive and encouraging, and they want him to be treated just as any other student. I am so grateful to have their help. . .they will make it a good year for Zack and me both! I'm just beginning to learn about how he will learn to read and to count. . .stay tuned for more information!
PS One interesting fact: the symbol for x in braille is the same as the word "it." Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment