Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day 2

So, day 2 in first grade with Zack was much easier than day 1. I think I knew a little more of what to expect, and it was much less chaotic. I had to do less reminding of appropriate behaviors with him today, so hopefully my tough stance on the first day is paying off. I can understand his desire to be a class clown, though. It's easier to be different when you're funny! I'm noticing how Zack is always using his hands to explore his surroundings, and it's fascinating. We did show and tell bags on Friday, and after his teacher put an object in his hands, he would wrap his hands around it and feel the shape and texture. I can't imagine identifying things by touch. . .are his fingers and palms more sensitive than those of seeing children? He has braille on his nametag (the nametags all of the kids are still wearing since we're still learning who they are), and he'll rub on it constantly while we're sitting at the carpet. I guess if you only have auditory stimulation to keep you focused, it's helpful to add in other senses.
I'm also noticing that when I talk to him, I feel like I need to hold on to his hand so he knows where I'm standing in relation to him. When I reach out to his hand, he almost always feels my wrist and my forearm. Does he use this to help "identify" me? Do my rings and my watch help him know who I am? What about my perfume and shampoo and scents? I'm fascinated by the mental processes he uses to know who is who. Does he create mental images, and if he does, how do they compare to reality?
The kids were great with him again on Friday, and I only noticed two areas that need addressing. One is partially my fault--when Zack left to go work with his vision teacher, I told him good-bye, and the entire class chimed in to say good-bye. It was sweet, but we need to address that. He will be coming in and out often, and it's not really okay for us to disrupt our learning for this. We wouldn't do it for a child going to the bathroom or nurse, so I don't think it's appropriate for every time Zack leaves, either. Also, I noticed some of the kids trying to support him when he was walking through a maze of seated kids at the carpet. I know they meant well, but I want to make sure they don't baby him or make him feel like he is not capable of doing something this simple on his own. We'll see. . .we're off to a great start, though. The vision teams' personalities have all meshed really well with mine so far, and I think it's going to be a perfect fit in the classroom. I hope they feel the same!
One more thought before I close out. . .I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness on Friday when I thought about Zack using his sense of touch and smell to know who I am. Maybe some of it was the exhaustion of the first week of school bringing out my emotions, but I was in tears at the thought of what all he is missing. He has no way to know what he looks like or what I look like or what the color red looks like or what the sky looks like. . .I know I can't let myself feel sorry for him and that I need to focus on what he does have rather than what he doesn't have, but wow. . .I didn't expect that. I guess I'll just have to work through it as I learn more about him and how to teach him.

No comments:

Post a Comment